Friday, March 30, 2012

Query 6.5 db

I know that 2005 does not support dbs with 6.5 compatibility level. However,
I can see the db and I can run a query against it. If this is possible and
works great, why can't I view/edit the SPs that are on those dbs? It is
basically the same thing as running a query, depending of course on the
difficulty of the SPs. I realize that not all new commands will work on
those older dbs, but still it would be a major help when trying to convert or
rewrite code to new standards before upgrading. Any thoughts on whether or
not I am missing something or if it is not possible no matter how hard I
would like to have it?
Thanks in advance.
cd
Hi Chris
It sounds like you are not using version control software, as this would not
be an issue if you were!
Have you tried sp_helptext?
John
"ChrisD" wrote:

> I know that 2005 does not support dbs with 6.5 compatibility level. However,
> I can see the db and I can run a query against it. If this is possible and
> works great, why can't I view/edit the SPs that are on those dbs? It is
> basically the same thing as running a query, depending of course on the
> difficulty of the SPs. I realize that not all new commands will work on
> those older dbs, but still it would be a major help when trying to convert or
> rewrite code to new standards before upgrading. Any thoughts on whether or
> not I am missing something or if it is not possible no matter how hard I
> would like to have it?
> Thanks in advance.
> cd
|||Let me clarify a little more. We have a program and database which are stuck
currently on level 6.5. Within the SSMS you can see those databases only has
their name and the classification (6.5 compatibility). You cannot drill down
into them. You can right click and choose new query. With this you can use
T-SQL to go and do anything that you can do through Enterprise Manager on the
same db. You cannot however, do anything with the SPs. You cannot even see
them. The question more clearly is whether or not it is possible to view and
edit Stored Procedures despite the limitations?
I am not writing SPs in 6.5, just needing to view and edit without having to
install 2000 tools on subsequent admin machines.
Thanks...cd
"John Bell" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Hi Chris
> It sounds like you are not using version control software, as this would not
> be an issue if you were!
> Have you tried sp_helptext?
> John
> "ChrisD" wrote:
|||Chris
You will need to have a separate machine to do this.
John
"ChrisD" wrote:
[vbcol=seagreen]
> Let me clarify a little more. We have a program and database which are stuck
> currently on level 6.5. Within the SSMS you can see those databases only has
> their name and the classification (6.5 compatibility). You cannot drill down
> into them. You can right click and choose new query. With this you can use
> T-SQL to go and do anything that you can do through Enterprise Manager on the
> same db. You cannot however, do anything with the SPs. You cannot even see
> them. The question more clearly is whether or not it is possible to view and
> edit Stored Procedures despite the limitations?
> I am not writing SPs in 6.5, just needing to view and edit without having to
> install 2000 tools on subsequent admin machines.
> Thanks...cd
> "John Bell" wrote:

No comments:

Post a Comment